Ashesi University College is looking to recruit an experienced and competent person for the position of Dean of Student and Community Affairs. The Dean will be responsible for creating and maintaining a safe, healthy, and supportive environment and culture that synthesizes the wholesome development of our students in a holistic way.
The ideal candidate must prove strong leadership skills and a passion for excellence. A strong sense of ethics and concern for the well-being of students is vital to succeed in this position. S/he should have an entrepreneurial spirit, be self-driven, be a collaborative team member and make room for learning and growth.
Reports to: The President, Ashesi University College
Qualifications & Skills
- Master's or Ph.D degree in Higher Education Administration, Psychology, Sociology or related field with at least five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in a student-focused academic or administrative environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, sound judgment and strong collaborative skills for team work and consensus building.
- Excellent managerial skills and the capacity to supervise multiple departments;
- Strong understanding of academic community environment, cross-cultural competence and demonstrated experience advising students on confidential matters.
- Intellectual curiosity about the development of young people and how they navigate young adulthood and tertiary institutions.
- Experience in translating university strategy and taking feedback to plan inclusive campus life for students.
- Ability to learn on the job and encourage team members to learn personal development
- Experience working with institution-wide strategy.
- Ability to provide evidence of processes and adept at data management.
- Strong computer skills and fluency with the Microsoft Suite, with an ability to gather and disseminate information to team members effectively and efficiently.
- A high level of willingness to build on pre-existing processes.
- Experience at a liberal arts institution is a plus.
- Directs the strategic plan of the Office of Student and Community Affairs and oversees its implementation, consistent with the university’s overall strategic goals;
- Responsible for the development and well-being of students outside the classroom;
- Manages departments that provide student and college-wide support services: Career Services, Student Counselling and Advising, Summer Programmes and Community Engagement, Health Center, Student Government, Food Services, Student Housing and Judicial Affairs;
- Provides support to the MasterCard Foundation program at Ashesi;
- Coordinates with campus and external community leaders in managing co-curricular learning and service opportunities, as well as campus safety and security;
- Helps establish a student culture where diversity and inclusion are valued and where students learn to respect differences, take responsibility for their actions, and exercise leadership;
- Provides leadership in and is responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of policies and regulations pertaining to student life;
- Develops and coordinates policies and procedures relative to all student activities, including the annual review and production of Student Handbook and other documents;
- Administers the policies and regulations of the College as they pertain to students, including internal judicial and disciplinary procedures
- Supervises campus activities such as Graduation, and Freshman Orientation, the official welcome to Ashesi.
- Sits on cross-departmental committees as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President or that are incidental to the position.
Interested applicant should email a cover letter and most recent CV to email@example.com