Provost / Associate Professor
Computer Science and Engineering
- Ph.D. and MS in Computer Science, University of Texas in Austin
- M.A. in Mathematics, University of Texas in Austin
- B.A. in Mathematical Sciences, Connecticut College
Areas of Interest
ICT literacy, the digital divide, teaching and learning innovation, academic affairs.
- Mary Godwyn, Suzanne Fox Buchele, Management Education as a Crucible for Ethical Social Change, in Organizational Culture, Positive Impacts and Resilience, Karen Wendt, Ed., Springer, 2016.
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, Rebecca Awuah, G. Ayorkor Korsah, Work in Progress: Ethical Leadership in Engineering Education in Africa: The Case of Ashesi University College, Proceedings of the World Engineering Education Forum, Florence, Italy, September 2015.
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, Aelaf Dafla, Crafting a 21st Century Undergraduate Engineering Programme for Sub-Saharan Africa, Proceedings of Engineering4Society, June 18-19, 2015, Leuven, Belgium.
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, Two Models of a Cryptography and Computer Security Class in a Liberal Arts Context,Proceedings of SIGCSE'13, March 6-9, 2013, Denver, Colorado, USA.
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, Using OLPC Laptop Technology as a Computer Science Case Study Learning Tool, The Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, Vol. 24/4, pp. 130-136, April 2009.
- Suzanne Fox Buchele and Romeo Owusu-Aning, The One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Project and Its Applicability to Ghana, Proceedings of the 2007 International Conference on Adaptive Science and Technology, December 2007, pp. 113-118.
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, The Story of Flatland, An Adventure in Many Dimensions, a re-write of Edwin Abbott’s classic, Flatland, A Romance of Many Dimensions (book). As yet unpublished, although I have had positive feedback from several publishers and may continue to seek publication for it.
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, Increased Student Participation in a Discrete Mathematics Course, The Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, Vol. 20/4, pp. 68-76, April 2005.
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, Richard Crawford, Three-Dimensional Halfspace Constructive Solid Geometry Tree Construction from Implicit Boundary Representations, Computer Aided Design, vol. 36/11, pp. 1063-1073, September 2004.
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, Richard Crawford, Three-Dimensional Halfspace Constructive Solid Geometry Tree Construction from Implicit Boundary Representations, Proceedings of the 8th ACM Symposium on Solid Modeling and Applications, June 2003. Invited to the journal Computer Aided Design (see above).
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, Angela C. Roles, Binary Space Partitioning Tree and Constructive Solid Geometry Representations for Objects Bounded by Curved Surfaces, Abstracts for the Thirteenth Canadian Conference on Computational Geometry, August 2001, pp. 49-52.
- S. F. Buchele, W. A. Ellingson, Reverse Engineering: Algebraic Boundary Representations to Constructive Solid Geometry, Solid Freeform Fabrication Proceedings, September 1997, pp. 593-602.
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, Hunter Ellinger, Forming Laminograms on Object-Dependent Surfaces, Materials Evaluation, Vol. 48, No. 5. May 1990, pp. 618-622 (Invited Paper).
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, Hunter Ellinger, Quantitative Computerized Laminography, Review in progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 8A, 1989, pp. 449-456.
Peer Reviewed Presentations
- Workshop Co-Presenter, Introduction to Alice, TCEA 2013, Austin, TX, February 2013.
- Panel Moderator and Participant, CS Fulbright Experiences Abroad, SIGCSE Technical Symposium, Dallas, TX, March 2011.
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, The Story of Flatland: An Updated Version of the Classic Flatland Tale to Engage (and not offend) High School Geometry Students, Presentation made at the Conference for the Advancement of Mathematics Teaching, San Antonio, TX, July 2010.
- Suzanne Fox Buchele, Experiences with OLPC Technology in Ghana, West Africa, Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, Keystone, CO, October 2008.
- Discussion Session Chair, Provision of eLearning Resources for Pre-Tertiary Education vs. Funding Other Educational Priorities, 3rd International Conference on ICT for Development, Education and Training, Accra, Ghana, May 2008.
- Nnoboa Session Leader, OLPC: Fact of Fiction, 3rd International Conference on ICT for Development, Education and Training, Accra, Ghana, May 2008.
- Associated Conference Activity Session Coordinator, XO/OLPC Shared Experiences, Special Interest Group on CS Education (SIGCSE) Technical Symposium, Portland, OR, Mar. 2008.
- Stephanie L. Fabritius, James W. Hunt, Suzanne Fox Buchele, Connections and Reflections: A Distinctive New Integrating Experience, presented at Pedagogies of Engagement: New Designs for Learning In and Across Disciplines, (a conference of the American Association of Colleges and Universities), Chicago, April 2004.
Dr. Buchele has maintained diverse professional research interests; most recently she has been involved in a blended learning project for pre-calculus preparation, and developed and led a summer workshop in ICT for high school teachers. In the recent past she has worked on and published course development innovations (Cryptography and Computer Security, and Discrete Mathematics); investigated OLPC technology in Uruguay and Ghana; and re-wrote the classic Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions to maintain the delightful mathematical adventure while eliminating the pejorative depictions of women. Her dissertation research was in the areas of computational geometry, computer graphics and solid modeling.
Awards & Honours
- Co-Principle Investigator,Associated Colleges of the South $4k Blended Learning Grant: Improved Calculus Preparation ThroughAssessment and Customized Blended Learning, 2013 – 2014.
- Project Principal, U.S.Department of Education $98k Earmark Grant: Summer Workshops in Computer Technologies for High School Math and Science Teachers.2011 – 2013.
- Fulbright Scholar, Lecturing/Research Grant at Ashesi University College in Ghana, 2006-2007; renewed for 2007-2008.
- General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of the United Methodist Church Exemplary Teaching Award, Southwestern University, 2004-2005.
- Best paper award nominee, 8th ACM Symposium on Solid Modeling and Applications, June 2003 (6 out of the 25 plenary papers were nominated). As a best paper nominee, the paper was invited to the journal Computer Aided Design (see publications).
- Brown Fellowship Recipient, Southwestern University, 2002-2003
- Commended Teaching Assistant, Computer Sciences Department UT Austin, 1997
- Laboratory-Graduate Appointee, Argonne National Laboratory, 1995 – 1997
- Grant Recipient, Texas Space Grant Consortium, 1995 – 1996
- MCD Fellowship Recipient, The University of Texas at Austin, 1993 – 1994
- Honors Study with Distinction in the Major Field, Connecticut College, 1985
- Julia Wells Bower Prize for Excellence in Mathematics, Connecticut College, 1985
- Phi Beta Kappa, Connecticut College, 1985
- Winthrop Scholar, Connecticut College, 1984